Saturday, May 16, 2015

Favorite Books

I don't necessarily have a "favorite" book, but I have several. Even though I don't read as fast as the rest of my family I do like to read and listen to books on tape.

My first category of books I like our romances. I started reading a lot of romance novels when I was about 16, but most of them were to explicit for my liking and it took many years to find authors that wrote good stories that I really enjoyed. Most of the books I read have some element of romance even though that may not be their primary genre. My favorite author I like in the romance genre is Debbie Macomber I've read most of her books and series over the past 10 years. I like her books because for the most part they are great stories. I don't necessarily like a romance novel just because it may or may not have a sex scene and it; I actually prefer the less explicit the better as it takes away from the overall plot. I like how relatable she makes her characters as they could be just about anyone you may meet in everyday life.

The second category of books I like are mysteries. I didn't like a lot of mystery writers when I was a teenager but since I've been an adult I have found a couple I like. There is a series by author Carole Nelson Douglas called Midnight Louie which I really enjoy it's about a big black cat who helps his "owner" Temple Barr, solve mysteries and crime in Las Vegas. Another mystery writer I like is Rex Stout, my favorite character of Rex Stout's is Nero Wolfe. I like his writing within these novels and short stories because it is witty and whimsical and it gives you a sense of the time period in which the author wrote the books (primarily the thirties and forties). There is another series of mysteries (also involving cats) called The Cat Who about a couple of Siamese cats who helped their journalist owner Quill, solve mysteries.

-Tori

No comments:

Post a Comment