Monday, April 27, 2015

Growing up with a Handicap Sibling




I didn't really think much about it; it was just the way things were. There we some things that were ingrained in me, fetching things for Tori, being quiet so she could use her voice typing program, opening doors for her, going up ramps, walking in front of her so she could navigate through crowds. I'm a naturally selfish person so I wasn't really thrilled to be having to help her get every thing, but we managed. As I've gotten bigger, I'm able to move her and her wheel chair into the car myself so if we want to go somewhere with just the two of us we can. She can't go for walks in areas without hard level ground so muddy lawns or grassy hills are out, so are most trails.
 
I still remember her going to Easter Seals although I didn't see much of it. They had all sorts of equipment and many kids with different abilities. One thing we did together was when she had therapy in the warm water pool they installed and the rest of the family could come and use the warm pool at open swim hours. The pool was about the temperature of a bath tub and mostly 3 to 4 feet deep. It had a rubbery bottom not hard concrete like most swimming pools. It was good for practicing walking and moving for mobility challenged people. And of course there was a hot tub section with massaging jets.
 
All in all, I think Tori is a fun sister to be around and its nice to do things with her and sad we don't do more.

-Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment